Looking for a New Program Leader: Image man with binocs

Do you love the Great Lakes? Do you have experience working in Great Lakes extension, research and outreach? You may be interested in the Extension Specialist position at Michigan Sea Grant.

The primary responsibility of this Extension Specialist position (75%) is to serve as the Extension Program Coordinator for the Michigan Sea Grant College Program, overseeing the administration of the network of Michigan Sea Grant Extension Educators across the state. The other 25 percent of effort will be spent facilitating, developing and implementing an applied human dimensions based research program in support of Michigan Sea Grant focusing on Great Lakes aquatic resource policy and management.

How to Apply

To apply, go to MAP – MSU Jobs. When the page opens, click “MSU Extension” button and look for job posting 8341 (Extension Specialist, Michigan Sea Grant). Applications are being accepted now. The review of applications will begin Nov. 8, but the posting will remain open until the position is filled.


Please contact Bill Taylor, Michigan Sea Grant associate director, at (517) 353-3048 or taylorw@msu.edu.

The Extension Specialist will:

  • Coordinate the development and implementation of strategic plans, Sea Grant Extension proposals and logic models in collaboration with Sea Grant research, communications and administration programs at the University of Michigan.
  • Ensure the Sea Grant strategic plan and logic model are integrated with the Extension work plans and logic models of the Greening Michigan Institute.
  • Act as a liaison by maintaining collaboration between MSU Extension and Michigan Sea Grant College Program.
  • Participate in the Extension work of the Greening Michigan Institute.
  • Ensure the program is prepared and ready for evaluation by the National Sea Grant College Program.
  • Develop new funding opportunities to expand Sea Grant Extension programming in the state, region and nation.
  • Prepare, propose and monitor program budgets and administer accounts.
  • Other duties as necessary.


The ideal candidate will have:

  • Preferably a Ph.D.; a Masters Degree is required.
  • Prior administrative experience, with progressively and more expansive experience as related to the mission of the Michigan Sea Grant.
  • An ability to demonstrate a record of innovative human dimensions research and external funding, as related to sustainability of coastal and aquatic systems and the impact of coastal and aquatic resources on the prosperity and well-being of society.
  • Proven leadership skills and experience in Extension program development, administration and research.
  • Proficiency and evident experience in the assessment of coastal and large aquatic ecosystem management, policy and resources issues; excellent written and oral communication skills.
  • Demonstrated ability to write successful research proposals, mentor graduate students and publish research findings.
  • An ability to work in a collaborative environment, including with other faculty, staff, and external clientele groups.
  • Competence in understanding and integrating diverse cultural perspectives into decisions.
  • Experience in managing contracts, grants and financial management.
  • Experience in leading program planning and implementing and evaluating teams.


Good Things to Know

This position is based in East Lansing at Michigan State University.

As part of the MSU Extension Greening Michigan Institute, this position reports to the Director of the MSUE Greening Michigan Institute, and will have dual reporting to the Associate Director for Michigan Sea Grant.

This is a fixed term position, for which the first term will be three years, renewable based upon continued funding and meeting performance expectations.

Interested individuals should include: (1) letter of interest, (2) resume, (3) description of relevant experience and expertise and professional goals and (4) names and contact information (including email addresses) for four professional references.