- This event has passed.
Green Infrastructure for Coastal Resilience: Dearborn
May 17, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Michigan Coastal Management Program, Michigan Sea Grant, and Michigan State University Extension are excited to invite you to a one-day training workshop, Introducing Green Infrastructure for Coastal Resilience. Green infrastructure practices play a critical role in making coastal communities more resilient to natural hazards and threats to water quality that are characteristic of living on the coast. NOAA’s Office for Coastal Management will lead participants through the fundamentals of green infrastructure, including concepts, various practices, and the wide variety of benefits it provides. Through presentations featuring local speakers, group discussions, and activities, participants will learn what they can do to support green infrastructure in their local communities.
Course participants from land use planning, conservation planning, hazard mitigation, stormwater management, floodplain management, and local government departments will learn how to:
- Differentiate green infrastructure terms and concepts
- Identify the ecological, economic, and societal benefits of green infrastructure
- Recognize the wide variety of scales of approaches referred to as “green infrastructure”
- Identify new or existing planning processes suitable for integrating green infrastructure techniques
- Connect with local green infrastructure activities and experts