2023 Request for Proposals
Currently Accepting Proposals
Michigan Sea Grant is inviting proposals for innovative research projects for the 2024-2026 funding period. MISG sends out RFPs for research projects every two years. Research proposals are selected for funding through a competitive, peer-reviewed process.
Michigan Sea Grant will support three types of research in this funding cycle:
- Integrated Assessment – Research that focuses on stakeholder engagement and synthesis of existing data to address important social and ecological issues affecting the Great Lakes, up to $110,000 per year.
- Core Research – Traditional data-driven research on issues currently affecting Great Lakes ecosystems and communities, up to $110,000 per year.
- Graduate Student Research Fellowships – Graduate student (M.S. or Ph.D.) research fellowships for one or two years, up to $60,000 total per fellowship.
Learn more about these funding categories and our research approach
2023 Important Links
- 2023 RFP announcement and submission guidelines
- Application submission portal (link forthcoming)
- Additional forms required with proposal
- 90-4 Budget Form (click link to download Excel spreadsheet as .zip file)
- NEPA Environmental Compliance Questionnaire (click link to download .docx file)
- NOAA Data Management Form (PDF)
2023 Important Dates
- March 15, 2023 – Letters of Intent (LOI) are due by 5 p.m. (EST). LOIs should be submitted through the application link above. Note: LOIs are required for Integrated Assessment and Core Research proposals but are not required for Graduate Student Research Fellowships.
- April 1 – May 22, 2023 – Questions about any proposal category can be submitted to MSG-RFPinfo@umich.edu until 5 p.m. (EST). Responses will be posted on this page as soon as possible after questions are received.
- May 24, 2023 – Full research proposals for all categories are due by 5 p.m. (EST). Proposals should be submitted through the application link above.
- September 2023 – Notification of final proposal funding decisions.
- February 1, 2024 – Funding for new projects begins, pending federal appropriations.
- February 1, 2024 through January 31, 2026 – Timeline for projects approved for funding.
Questions about the RFP?
Questions related to Integrated Assessment, Core Research, or Graduate Student Research Fellowship proposals — whether technical or content-related — should be submitted to the Michigan Sea Grant Research Program by emailing MSG-RFPinfo@umich.edu before 5 p.m. (EST) May 22, 2023. Answers will be posted to the Michigan Sea Grant RFP webpage as soon as possible after questions are received.