As part of the Great Lakes Green Marina Outreach and Education Project, Michigan Sea Grant recently led the development of several tools for marina operators as well as boaters. One such tool is the pollution prevention and recycling kits that provide marina staff and boaters with components and information to reduce the risk of polluting the Great lakes.
- Fuel bibs, small booms and rags to prevent or clean up minor petroleum drips and leaks (gasoline and oil).
- Trash bags to collect trash and recyclable materials for disposal on shore.
- Materials to help promote stewardship among boaters, including tip sheets, brief handouts, fact sheets, directions on how to create a pollution prevention kit, and videos.
- Display holders and guidance on how to use the kit to educate boater patrons at certified Clean Marina facilities.
- Waterproof duffel bag to hold all of the items.
A total of 150 pollution prevention and recycling kits have been distributed throughout the Great Lakes thus far. Also, nearly 350,000 boater tip cards have been circulated to assist marinas with boater education.
Make Your Own Kit