Benefits of Certification
Certification in the Michigan Clean Marina Program provides many benefits and is a simple, straightforward process.
Positive Community Impacts
- Improve water quality and habitat for fish and wildlife. The marine and boating industry depends on clean waters and a healthy coastal environment for their continued success.
- Attract knowledgeable customers. Clean Marinas are aesthetically pleasing facilities that can attract responsible clientele that will follow good boating practices.
A Simple Process
- Support Provided. Trained Certification Specialists and program coordinators are available to support and guide you through training and completing certification requirements.
- Standard Checklists. Marina specialists conduct all site visits, using a standard checklist to help ensure your facility is in compliance with environmental regulations and addresses best management practices.
- Organization Binder Provided. MCMP provides a template binder to store certification materials. Tabs in the binder are matched to sections of the Certification Checklist.
- Access to exclusive discounts. Certified Clean Marinas gain access to discounts on green cleaning supplies, trash bags, advertising services, pressure cleaning, bilge absorbent materials, and more. MBIA members with Hanover, a 10% credit on liability insurance provides an average savings of $1,500 per year for a marina. Marina liability insurance discounts for certified Clean Marinas may also be available by contacting your insurance company. Inclusion on and distribution of this list does not indicate endorsement of these businesses. For the current list of discounts, see: Michigan Clean Marina Discounts.
- Reduce waste disposal costs. The best management practices will reduce the amount of waste produced, reducing disposal fees.
- Generate new sources of revenue. Studies have shown that Clean Marinas can charge slightly higher slip fees and have fewer vacancies.
- Reduce legal liabilities. By becoming a Certified Clean Marina, marinas can ensure they are meeting regulatory requirements, thus reducing or eliminating the incidence of any fines.
- Access to credits. Certified Clean Marinas may be eligible for a 10 % underwriting credit on liability insurance.
- Get free publicity. The Michigan Boating Industries Association highlights each certified facility in social media and all its publications, including newsletters, boating guides, and the Michigan Boating Annual Directory. All facilities are also featured on the website, including a map and GPS coordinates and links to locate each facility.
- Outreach tools. Marinas will receive the official clean marina logo for use on all promotional materials. They also will receive fact sheets, a press release template to promote certification, and a poster — 10 Reasons to be Proud You Boat at a Certified Clean Marina. Marinas also will have access to educational materials about boat maintenance, petroleum control, vessel sewage, and waste containment and disposal.
- Welcome kit. New, certified clean marinas will receive a welcome kit with an official, framed certificate and a flag for display at facilities. See: Welcome Kit Contents (PDF)
If you represent a certified Clean Marina and have not yet taken advantage of these promotional resources, please contact email@example.com to gain access to these materials and tips on how to promote your certification status.