Certification webinar and Q&A session, December 2020:
About the Program
Considering Clean Marina certification? A review of the benefits of certification and an overview of the Resource Guide might help you decide.
Certified operators are also awarded access to electronic materials including the Clean Marina logo, advertisement templates and more. Please contact email@example.com to gain access to these materials.
Certification Binder and Sample Contract Language
The Michigan Clean Marina Program provides participants with a template binder to store certification materials. Tabs in the binder are numerically matched to sections of the Certification Checklist.
For an example of a completed binder, please see:
For an example of Clean Marina approved contract language, please see the Resources provided in the Clean Marina Resource Guide.
Great Lakes Best Management Practices Guide
This guide was produced to include new best management practices related to coastal resilience and other topics. It was produced in collaboration with marina operators, representatives from regulatory agencies, and others.
Clean Marina Stormwater Toolkit
Imagine all of the services and activities that happen at your marina. Many of them — boat maintenance, chemical and fuel storage, bottom washing — produce dust, debris, and drips that fall to the ground with contaminants like heavy metals and oil. Eventually all these pollutants end up in the lake untreated via the storm drain with no benefit to the marina or water quality.
Marinas offer a “last chance” opportunity to treat and manage stormwater runoff before it enters the Great Lakes. Clean Marina Programs provide education and technical assistance to help marinas implement stormwater improvements to keep our lakes clean. And we all know that clean lakes are good for business! Use this toolkit to improve your marina’s green infrastructure and the Great Lakes.
Shrink-wrap Recycling Program
This program provides boaters and marina operators with a cost-effective, environmentally friendly option for disposal of shrink-wrap.
Recycled Materials Market Directory (RMMD)
The Recycled Materials Market Directory is an online directory that helps connect businesses looking to recycle a wide variety of materials generated through their operations with recycling organizations near them that accept those materials. Businesses can search the directory for the material they are looking to recycle (office supplies, batteries, etc.).
Discounts for Certified Clean Marinas
A number of discounts are available to certified Clean Marinas.
Clean Boating Educational Resources
Part of being a certified Clean Marina is sharing clean boating information with boaters. The following educational “rack cards” were developed to share information with boaters in a brief, colorful format (PDFs).
- Why Visit a Clean Marina?
- Be A Good Boating Steward
- Boat Cleaning Best Practices
- Waste Containment and Disposal
- Boater Pollution Prevention Kit
Clean Marina Tip Sheets
These tip sheets can help relay Clean Marina and resilience best practices to your staff and boaters (PDFs).
- Watercraft Check Points
- Petroleum Control
- Vessel Sewage and Marine Sanitation Devices
- Waste Containment and Disposal
- Infrastructure Best Practices
- Dredging Best Practices
- Planning and Financing Best Practices
Climate and Weather
Increasing intensity and frequency of storms, variable lake levels and related dredging needs are perennial issues for many marinas.
- Increasing Resilience at Marinas and Harbors
- Reinforcing our Waterfronts: Increased Resilience at Marinas and Harbors (PDF)
The Great Lakes Clean Marina Network is a collaborative forum for Clean Marina programs in our region. Please visit the website to find recorded educational presentations and additional program resource material. See: Great Lakes Clean Marina Network
For the Media
This kit is for members of the media. The components provide an overview of the program and its positive impact on Michigan waterfronts, communities and the environment.
Reasons to cover the Clean Marina program
- It’s easy. A variety of background pieces are included on this page.
- Clean Marina program is an under-reported story.
- It’s a great seasonal story or something to keep in the coffers.
Media Kit Contents
- Benefits of Becoming a Clean Marina (PDF)
- Media and publicity tips (PDF)
- Press Release for Marina Operators (PDF)
- Clean Marina Resource Guide (website)
- Photos: Michigan Clean Marina Best Management Practices | Great Lakes Clean Marina Network photos
Clean Marina Program at a Glance
- Voluntary training and certification program for marinas.
- Clean Marinas put environmentally friendly practices into action.
- Owner/operators follow 10 steps, including completing an online course.
- More than 50 marinas in Michigan are certified.
- Michigan, one of first states to have a program, is leading a regional Clean Marina effort.
Thank you for your time and consideration. When you do provide coverage of this program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.