H.O.M.E.S. at Home
Want to keep exploring our fabulous Great Lakes, even though you’re hanging around the house? Check out H.O.M.E.S. at Home! The acronym is an easy way to remember our five Great Lakes: Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior. While it may be harder for us to dip our toes in the lakes right now, we’ve got lots of ways for you to enjoy and learn about our freshwater seas right from your own home.
H.O.M.E.S. at Home webinar series
Longing to take the family to the Great Lakes, but not able to get to the shore? Then this series is for you! Join us for a series of fun-filled, family-friendly videos jam-packed full of Great Lakes fun facts, activity suggestions for your family, and daily challenges. Each video provides a high-energy experience that engages people of all ages in learning about the Great Lakes and activities you can do right at home!
Videos are live streamed and recorded for later viewing, each day at 10:30am – 11am EDT. The first 20 minutes of the video are activities and fun, engaging content, followed by 10 minutes for Q&A — as well as a family challenge!
How to watch
To watch the videos in Zoom, follow this link.
- You will need to download the free Zoom computer app if you haven’t already: https://zoom.us/download
- Then join the stream at https://msu.zoom.us/j/550958988
To watch on Facebook, just head to the Michigan Sea Grant Facebook page.
Earn a certificate!
Folks that complete all 5 challenges from the first week will be emailed a Great Lakes Jr. Scientist certificate for you to print and proudly display at home. If you want, we can also add your name or names to our Great Lakes Hall of Science Heroes! Just fill out this Google Form to let us know that you’ve completed the challenges.
What will we learn about?
Click the links to watch the episodes on YouTube! Captions are available in the YouTube player.
- Monday 3/23 – Birdventures! Explore the fascinating birds of the Great Lakes
- Tuesday 3/24 – Be a Great Lakes Hero: Stop marine debris!
- Wednesday 3/25 – One Fish, Two Fish, Make a Dish, Eat a Fish!
- Thursday 3/26 – Great Lakes, Great Films, Great Writers
- Friday 3/27 – Lake Effect! The crazy winds of the Great Lakes
- Tuesday 4/7 – Lake Sturgeon: Dinosaurs in the Great Lakes
- Thursday 4/9 – Exploring Herpetology: Fun with Amphibians and Reptiles
Hits from YouTube
Here are some highlights from Michigan Sea Grant’s YouTube channel:
- Tiger Musky Attack!
- How to Make Teriyaki Fish Kebabs
- Who Is Michigan Sea Grant?
- Sturgeon in the St. Clair River
- Salmon in the Great Lakes, Part 1: Early Life History
- Salmon in the Great Lakes, Part 2: Open Water
- Salmon in the Great Lakes, Part 3: Scenes from the Salmon Run
- Northern Pike, Master of Camouflage
- Howard Tanner on “Something Spectacular: My Great Lakes Salmon Story”
- A Mussel Goes Fishing
- Mudpuppies in Michigan
- 2019 Lake Sturgeon Send-off in Saginaw Bay
Watch the videos from the #LakeEffects Film Series!
The #LakeEffects Film Series is a five-part livestreamed event hosted by Michigan Sea Grant and sponsored by Great Lakes Now and the University of Michigan Great Lakes Theme Semester. Did you miss previous nights in the film series? Never fear — most of the content is available online for free! Check out the links below for fascinating Great Lakes clips and documentaries:
March 12: JOURNEYS
- The Big Five Dive
- Island Basketball
- Crossing Lake Huron
- Voices of the Coast: Mary Lou Scheider
March 19: SHIPWRECKS
March 26: INVADERS
April 2: HAZARDS
- Plastics 101
- Recycling Plastic into Clothing
- Enbridge Line 5 Update
- Buffalo Reef Restoration
- The Forever Chemicals
- Great Lakes Safety
- Great Black Swamp
- Celebrating the Comeback of the Burning River
April 9: GREAT LAKES NOW NIGHT