Michigan Sea Grant Graduate Student Research Fellowship
Michigan Sea Grant is currently recruiting fellows for the 2022-2024 funding cycle through the 2021 request for proposals. See the Request for Proposals page for more information.
Michigan Sea Grant offers one- or two- year fellowships for graduate students enrolled full-time at Michigan universities who are interested in research relevant to current Great Lakes issues. This fellowship provides support for a student’s research and enhances academic and professional development opportunities.
Research fellows work with an agency sponsor and faculty member at an accredited institution in Michigan to conduct a research project that supports existing Great Lakes research at federal, tribal, and state agencies. Applicants submit a short proposal and budget for their research as part of the selection process and are expected to have letters of support from agency and faculty sponsors. Read about current and past fellows, or check out the Fellowship Blog.
Proposals are due by May 24, 2021.
About the Fellowship
- Supports exceptional graduate students (M.S. or Ph.D.) engaged in research relevant to the Great Lakes, ongoing agency research efforts, and to the Michigan Sea Grant Strategic Plan.
- Fellows will work with an agency mentor to ensure results are useful and contribute to ongoing Great Lakes research.
- Fellows will be provided with professional development opportunities that include conducting a research project, data collection and analysis, and preparation of project reports and presentation materials.
- Students must be enrolled in or admitted to a full-time graduate or professional degree program at an accredited Michigan academic institution.
- Students may be working toward a degree in any discipline related to Great Lakes coastal or ecosystem issues.
- All proposals require a 50 percent non-federal match.
How to Apply
- Eligibility, proposal requirements, and full submission timeline: Request for Proposals
- Submit Graduate Student Research Fellowship Proposal
- Please submit the Data Management and NEPA forms directly to Elyse Larsen as firstname.lastname@example.org
- See complete instructions on RFP page
- Read about current and past fellows
- Check out the Fellowship Blog
All questions related to the Michigan Sea Grant Graduate Student Research Fellowship should be submitted to the Michigan Sea Grant Research Program by emailing MSG-RFPinfo@umich.edu.