- This event has passed.
2022 Aquaculture Challenge Virtual Open House and Team Meet and Greet
January 28 @ 4:30 pm - 5:30 pm
The Aquaculture Challenge is a competition held by Lake Superior State University and the Michigan Sea Grant program. Teams sponsored by a school or after school organization (ie.e 4-H, FFA, etc) are tasked with creating their own small-scale aquaponics system. In addition to creating the system, each team is tasked with monitoring the parameters of the system, such as air and water temperature, luminosity, and soil moisture. The last components of the challenge are to develop outreach and extension projects. The parameters of these last two components change from year to year.
The Challenge gives the students a few months to conceptualize and implement their system design, configure their monitoring system and sensors to monitor their system, and create their outreach and extension projects. The students are supported through virtual resources and a team liaison who meets with teams throughout the year. Finally teams complete the challenge by submitting documents and videos describing their systems, monitoring and outreach. Awards are given for each component of the challenge along with a cumulative award.
General Timeline of Events
- Nov 1st: Registration Opens
- November 1st – January 11th: Asynchronous Coach Check-In 1a – A 2-3 hour Google Classroom training that introduces the challenge and team requirements. Coaches complete at their own pace
- December 14th or January 10th, 4:30pm – 6:00pm ET: Coach Zoom Check-In 1b – Live coach training to review google classroom unit. Only attend one.
- January 11th: Last day to register a team. Registration closes at midnight
- January 28th, 4:30PM-5:30PM: Virtual Open House and Team Meet and Greet
- February: Milestone 2 Check-In – Teams check in with liaison
- March: Milestone 3 Check-In – Teams check in with liaison
- April 9th: Due Date for Submissions
- April 16th: Virtual Ceremony